1. Homemade Vinegar mix for weeds
2. Liquid Dish Detergent
3. Boiling Water
4. Lemon Juice
5. Corn Gluten Meal (this is different than corn meal)
Some other Tips for Weed Control
- Many natural remedies and weed killer products will not only kill weeds dead, but they may also kill surrounding grass, plants and flowers. When using a recipe, make sure to apply to the weed only (keep in mind that liquids will saturate and seep into the ground where roots from favoured plants may be able to reach).
- Use weed killers when there’s no sign of rain for at least a day or two, hot sunny weather will give you best results.
- For weed control in gardens and flower beds, consider laying newspapers and mulch in and around your plants–the weeds will have a difficult time rooting and spreading.
- Weed growth is greatly reduced when using the “No Dig” method of gardening The idea is to make a foundation of compost/mulch then only use soil where you plant (make a hole in the mulch, stick a handful or two of dirt inside then plant the seedling).
- Did you know: Many weeds are used in home remedies for all sorts of things and some are even edible and tasty! For example, dandelions can be used to make a delicious syrup, wine or jelly, while plantains can be crushed and used to reduce itching from mosquito bites or relieve pain from bee stings. Take some time to research the weeds in your area and you may find some pretty clever ways to make them useful–you may just decide to let a few weeds live and flourish in certain parts of your yard.